From IMDB comes this listing of the top grossing films of 2007 (U.S. Theatrical box office, in millions):
1. Spider-Man 3 $336,530,303
2. Shrek the Third 320,706,665
3. Transformers 319,014,499
4. Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End 309,404,152
5. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix 292,000,866
6. The Bourne Ultimatum 227,137,090
7. Ratatouille 206,435,493
8. The Simpsons Movie 183,121,527
9. Wild Hogs 168,213,584
10. Knocked Up 148,734,225
Three of the films were pure animated features (Shrek, Ratatouille, The Simpsons Movie) and another four relied heavily on CG special effects (Spider-Man 3, Transformers, Pirates and Harry Potter). In addition to these figures, it should be noted that Bee Movie grossed $122,651,629. and Meet The Robinsons, Surf’s Up and, (cough) Beowulf were modest successes in their own right. Enchanted is doing great and although I don’t consider it an animated film, Alvin and the Chipmunks has become a huge Christmas holiday hit.
All in all, it’s been a great year for animated films – and results like these reassure Hollywood that animation is still viable, popular – and big business.
Here’s to a great 2008! Happy New Year!