Disney and Pixar have released the trailer for their upcoming Cars spinoff series Cars on the Road, which will hit Disney+ on Sept, 8.
- Cars on the Road is a new spinoff of Pixar’s popular Cars franchise and will feature the films’ original lead voice actors Owen Wilson as Lightning McQueen and Larry the Cable Guy as Mater.
- In Cars on the Road, Lightning and Mater will leave Radiator Springs and head east for a cross-continental road trip. “The series is a romp across the country with Lightning McQueen and Mater,” explains director Steve Purcell. “Like any real road trip, every day is a new mini-adventure with unexpected twists and turns.”
- Cars on the Road is produced by Marc Sondheimer and the series’ episodes are directed by Purcell, Bobby Podesta, and Brian Fee. Composer Jake Monaco scored all nine episodes.
- This is the third time that the Cars franchise will be adapted for TV or streaming. Cars Toons: Mater’s Tales was a series of animated shorts featuring Mater and Lightning which ran from 2008-2012 and appeared on physical media releases of the Cars films. Four more shorts debuted on the Disney Channel in 2013 and 2014 under the Cars Toons: Tales from Radiator Springs banner.
- Cars on the Road will launch on Disney+ on September 8, designated as Disney+ Day by the House of Mouse. Disney+ Day is a streaming-focused day of premieres and special events which lead up to Disney’s annual D23 Expo.