I’m the official biographer of Oscar-winning animation director and jazz bandleader Ward Kimball, and the youngest recipient of the Theatre Library Association Award which I received for the book Cartoon Modern: Style and Design in 1950s Animation (2006, Chronicle Books).
I’ve written The Art of Pixar: The Complete Color Scripts and Select Art from 25 Years of Animation for Pixar; The Art of Robots for 20th Century Fox about the making of the Fox/Blue Sky computer animated feature Robots; A Sketchy Past: The Art of Peter de Sève; and edited and designed the book Inside UPA, a compilation of unpublished photographs from the legendary UPA Animation Studios.
I’ve worked in the animation industry in a number of capacities. For four years, I worked for the animation company Spümcø, which included serving as the production coordinator of Ren & Stimpy: Adult Party Cartoon (2003). Between 1998 and 2006, I published nine print issues of Animation Blast, a publication that featured interviews with and biographies of numerous animation legends, including Iwao Takamoto, Gene Hazelton, Pete Alvarado, Ed Benedict, Tom Oreb, Jim Tyer and John Dunn. In 1998, Animation World Magazine hired me to become the associate editor of their publication, which was the first monthly electronic magazine devoted to animation. On multiple occasions, I have served as an expert witness on character and production design for DreamWorks Animation.
Cartoon Brew was launched in March 2004 in partnership with Jerry Beck. In September 2008, we launched Cartoon Brew TV, an exclusive on-line showcase for the world’s finest contemporary animated shorts. I became sole owner of Cartoon Brew in February 2013.
I’ve curated retrospectives, presented lectures or spoken at the following places:
- Ottawa International Animation Festival (Canada)
- Elektra: International Digital Arts Festival (Canada)
- Klik! Amsterdam Animation Festival (The Netherlands)
- Anima Mundi (Brazil)
- Fredrikstad Animation Festival (Norway)
- Projector Festival (Scotland)
- Platform International Animation Festival (USA)
- Los Angeles Times Festival of Books (USA)
- Comic-Con International:San Diego (USA)
I’ve served on juries for the following events:
- Fredrikstad Animation Festival (2008, Norway)
- Ottawa International Animation Festival (2009, Canada)
- Animation Block Party (2010, USA)
- Vimeo Festival (2012, USA)
- Center for Urban Pedagogy’s Public Access Design Grants (2013, USA)
- Anifilm (2013, Czech Republic)
For consulting inquiries, festival and speaking engagements, and interview requests, please use the form below. (Note: If you are submitting a news item to Cartoon Brew, use the News Suggestion Form.)