Amid Amidi (@amid/LinkedIn) is an author, historian, and consultant, with numerous books to his credit. He is the youngest recipient of the Theatre Library Association Award which he received for his book Cartoon Modern: Style and Design in 1950s Animation (2006, Chronicle Books).
He has written The Art of Pixar: The Complete Color Scripts and Select Art from 25 Years of Animation for Pixar, The Art of Robots for 20th Century Fox about the making of the Fox/Blue Sky computer animated feature Robots, and edited and designed the book Inside UPA, a compilation of unpublished photographs from the legendary UPA Animation Studios.
Amid has worked in the animation industry in a number of capacities, and consulted for various media/entertainment companies. He launched one of the earliest daily animation news and commentary sites–Animation and Cartoon Heaven–in August 1996. In 1998, that site became Animation Blast. A print version of Animation Blast soon followed and nine issues have been published to date. In 1998, he joined Animation World Network as Associate Editor of Animation World Magazine, the first monthly electronic publication devoted to animation. He also wrote their weekly industry e-newsletter, The Animation Flash. In March 2004, he partnered with Jerry Beck and launched the site that you’re currently reading and in March 2007, they debuted the animation-on-demand download site Cartoon Brew Films. In September 2008, they launched Cartoon Brew TV, an exclusive on-line showcase for the world’s finest contemporary animated shorts. He became sole owner of Cartoon Brew in February 2013.
Amid has curated retrospectives, presented lectures or spoken at:
- Ottawa International Animation Festival (Canada)
- Elektra: International Digital Arts Festival (Canada)
- Klik! Amsterdam Animation Festival (The Netherlands)
- Anima Mundi (Brazil)
- Fredrikstad Animation Festival (Norway)
- Projector Festival (Scotland)
- Platform International Animation Festival (USA)
- Los Angeles Times Festival of Books (USA)
- Comic-Con International:San Diego (USA)
Amid has served on juries for the following events:
- Fredrikstad Animation Festival (2008, Norway)
- Ottawa International Animation Festival (2009, Canada)
- Animation Block Party (2010, USA)
- Vimeo Festival (2012, USA)
- Center for Urban Pedagogy’s Public Access Design Grants (2013, USA)
- Anifilm (2013, Czech Republic)
For consulting inquiries, festival and speaking engagements, and interview requests, please use the form below. (Note: If you are submitting a news item to Cartoon Brew, use the News Suggestion Form.)