The nominations are out for the 74th Emmy Awards, presented by the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences.
The best animated program category features three past winners – Bob’s Burgers, The Simpsons, and Rick & Morty – along with two newcomers from the streaming side – Netflix’s Arcane and Disney+’s Marvel series What If…?
Arcane, the Riot Games and Fortiche Productions series based on the League of Legends franchise, is one to watch in this category. Video game-derived series in this category are a rarity – in fact, Arcane may very well be the first – but the nomination is more than just novelty. Arcane’s high-quality cinematic approach to series has earned it lots of fans and the show has awards momentum heading into the Emmys, having swept all nine categories in which it was nominated at the Annie Awards last March.
Here’s another factor that works in favor of both Arcane and What If…?: The winner in the category last year was Genndy Tartakovsky’s Primal, a departure from past comedy-oriented winners and a sign that perhaps Emmy voters are beginning to accept animation as a medium that can accommodate any type of storytelling.
Arcane additionally picked up a nomination for sound editing in a half-hour comedy/drama series/animation. It is one of two animated series in this category – the other is Love, Death + Robots – alongside live-action series Barry, Cobra Kai, Ted Lasso, and What We Do in the Shadows.
A notable animation nominee, in a usually non-animation category, is Disney+’s hybrid Chip ’n Dale: Rescue Rangers, which was nominated in the tv movie category. It is up against a slate of live-action contenders: Ray Donovan: The Movie, Reno 911!: The Hunt For QAnon, The Survivor, and Zoey’s Extraordinary Christmas.
A list of all the nominees in the animation and vfx categories can be found below. For the full list of nominees in all categories, visit the Emmy website.
- Arcane, “When These Walls Come Tumbling Down” — Netflix — A Riot Games and Fortiche Production
- Bob’s Burgers, “Some Like It Bot Part 1: Eighth Grade Runner ” — Fox — 20th Television
- Rick & Morty, “Mort Dinner Rick Andre” — Adult Swim — Rick and Morty LLC
- The Simpsons, “Pixelated And Afraid” — Fox — A Gracie Films production in association with 20th Television Animation
- What If…?, “What If… Doctor Strange Lost His Heart Instead Of His Hands?” — Disney+ — Marvel Studios
Short-Form Animated Program
- The Boys Presents: Diabolical, “John And Sun-Hee” — Prime Video — Amazon Studios, Sony Pictures Television Studios, Titmouse, Kripke Enterprises, Original Film, and Point Grey Pictures
- Love, Death + Robots, “Jibaro” — Netflix — Blur Studio
- Robot Chicken — “Happy Russian Deathdog Dolloween 2 U” — Adult Swim — A Stoopid Buddy Stoodios production with Williams Street
- Star Wars: Visions, “The Duel” — Disney+ — Kamikaze Douga and Lucasfilm Ltd.
- When Billie Met Lisa — Disney+ — A Gracie Films production in association with 20th Television Animation
Character Voice-Over Performance
- F. Murray Abraham as Khonshu — Moon Knight, “The Friendly Type” — Disney+
- Julie Andrews as Lady Whistledown — Bridgerton, “Capital R Rake” — Netflix
- Chadwick Boseman as Star Lord T’Challa — What If…?, “What If… T’Challa Became A Star-Lord?” — Disney+
- Maya Rudolph as Connie The Hormone Monstress — Big Mouth, “A Very Big Mouth Christmas” — Netflix
- Stanley Tucci as Bitsy — Central Park, “Central Dark” — Apple TV+
- Jessica Walter as Malory Archer — Archer, “London Time” — FX
- Jeffrey Wright as The Watcher — What If…?, “What If… Ultron Won?” — Disney+
Special Visual Effects in a Season or a Movie
- The Book Of Boba Fett — Disney+ — Lucasfilm Ltd.
- Foundation — Apple TV+ — Skydance Television
- Lost In Space — Netflix — Legendary
- Stranger Things — Netflix — Monkey Massacre Productions & 21 Laps Entertainment
- The Witcher — Netflix
Special Visual Effects in a Single Episode
- The Man Who Fell To Earth, “Hallo, Spaceboy” — Showtime — Showtime Presents, CBS Studios Inc., Secret Hideout, Timberman & Beverly, StudioCanal
- See, “Rock-a-Bye” — Apple TV+ — Chernin Entertainment/Endeavor Content in association with Apple
- Snowpiercer, “A Beacon For Us All” — TNT — TNT in association with Tomorrow Studios and CJ Entertainment
- Squid Game, “VIPS” — Netflix — Siren Pictures
- Vikings: Valhalla, “The Bridge” — Netflix — A Netflix Series/An MGM Television Production
Main Title Design
- Candy — Hulu — UCP and 20th Television
- Cowboy Bebop — Netflix — A Netflix Series in association with Tomorrow Studios
- Foundation — Apple TV+ — Skydance Television
- Lisey’s Story — Apple TV+ — Bad Robot/Warner Bros. Television in association with Apple
- Only Murders In The Building — Hulu — 20th Television
- Pachinko — Apple TV+ — Media Res/Blue Marble Pictures in association with Apple
- Severance — Apple TV+ — Endeavor Content/Red Hour Productions in association with Apple