‘Primal,’ ‘Love, Death + Robots’ Continue Winning Streaks At Emmy Awards
Adult Swim’s Primal and Netflix’s Love, Death + Robots continued racking up honors at the Primetime Creative Arts Emmy Awards, which were handed out by the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences over the weekend.
Individual members of both crews had already been named as winners in the juried section of the Emmys. Yesterday, the shows won the categories in which they were nominated.
Primal won best animated program. It was up against Bob’s Burgers, The Simpsons, and South Park, all of which have won the award multiple times, as well as Big Mouth, which was nominated for the third year in a row. Despite the presence of perennial favorties, the category is surprisingly competitive and unpredictable. Since 2010, ten different shows have won the award.
Primal creator Genndy Tartakovsky is no stranger at the Emmys. He won an individual achievement Emmy last year for his storyboarding on Primal and earlier picked up Emmys for Star Wars: Clone Wars and Samurai Jack.
In the short-form animated program category, Robert Valley’s short Ice, produced as part of Netflix’s Love, Death + Robots, won the Emmy. The short had previously picked up two of the four individual achievement awards that Love, Death + Robots won in the juried section, including a win for Valley’s work as production designer. The other honored Ice crew member was Patricio Betteo for his background work.
Below are all of the animation winners in the Primetime Creative Arts Emmys. The list of all the animation nominees can be found here.
- Primal, “Plague of Madness” — Adult Swim
Short-Form Animated Program
- Love, Death + Robots, “Ice” — Netflix
Character Voice-Over Performance
- Maya Rudolph as Connie The Hormone Monstress — Big Mouth, “A Very Special 9/11 Episode” — Netflix
Special Visual Effects in a Season or a Movie
- The Mandalorian — Disney+ — Lucasfilm Ltd.
Special Visual Effects in a Single Episode
- Star Trek: Discovery, “Su’kal” — Paramount+ — CBS Studios in association with Secret Hideout and Roddenberry Entertainment
- Space Explorers: The ISS Experience — Oculus — Felix & Paul Studios, TIME Studios
Main Title Design
- The Good Lord Bird — Showtime — Showtime Presents, Blumhouse Television, Mark 924 Entertainment, Under the Influence Productions