Kilkenny’s Lighthouse Studios has announced development of its first-ever animated series, Savage Town, based on the Irish graphic novel of the same name from Declan Shalvey and Philip Barrett, colored by Eisner Award-winner Jordie Bellaire.
- Savage Town is being developed as a 2d animated series for adults. Marcus Fleming is head writer on the series in charge of adapting the source material for tv.
- Fleming is a veteran writer who began his career as an animation artist, which led him to film and television screenwriting and development. He wrote the series Dominion Creek for TG4 and Netflix UK, which went on to win him an IFTA (Irish Film and Television Academy) award and a Writers Guild of Ireland Zebbie Award for best drama writer. He was also nominated for an IFTA for the political drama The Running Mate.
- The graphic novel is set in Ireland at the turn of the 21st century as the country transformed from one of Western Europe’s poorer countries to one of its most affluent. With the extra money floating around came opportunity. Savage Town follows a small-town gangster who seizes upon that opportunity to take control of the city. Unfortunately for him, two rival gangs have similar plans of their own.
- According to Lighthouse Studios managing director Claire Finn, “With Savage Town, Declan, Philip, and Jordie have created a compelling story that touches on societal themes that are relevant today the world over, including what happens to those that get left behind, the struggles of the working class, discrimination, and gang violence. The graphic novel gives us a gritty backdrop to further develop the story and delve into the plot lines to create a binge-worthy adult animated series that will resonate with audiences around the globe.”
- Lighthouse Studios was formed in 2017 as a joint venture between two animation studios, Canada’s Mercury Filmworks and Ireland’s Cartoon Saloon. Company credits include The Bob’s Burgers Movie, El Deafo for Apple TV+, Little Ellen for Warner Bros. Animation, and Netflix’s The Cuphead Show!. The studio is also developing original content for global distribution.