2019 Emmy Nominations: ‘BoJack Horseman’ Joins Race For Best Animated Program
Nominations were announced this week for the 71st Primetime Emmy Awards, presented by the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences.
In the animated program category, usual suspects Bob’s Burgers and The Simpsons are up against BoJack Horseman, Big Mouth, and Adventure Time, none of which has been nominated for this award before. The Simpsons, which has picked up 33 Emmys to date, is also in the running for best character voice-over performance (Hank Azaria).
Like animated programs, the short-vform animation category tends to repeat itself across years. Cartoon Network’s Teen Titans Go! and Steven Universe have been nominated every year since 2017 and 2015 respectively; they return this time around. The network’s sister company Adult Swim picks up its only nomination here, for Robot Chicken. So does Nickelodeon, for SpongeBob SquarePants. The final contender is “The Witness,” an installment in Netflix’s Love, Death & Robots anthology.
Netflix is up for more awards this year than any network except HBO. Unsurprisingly, it’s well represented across the animation-related categories, with at least one nomination in all but one of them. Last year, it had no shows in contention for either the animated program or the short-form animation awards; this year, it has three.
In total, Netflix scored 117 nominations across all cateogories — a company record — to HBO’s 137 (also a record). Subtract Game of Thrones, which won’t be around next year, and Netflix comes out top; the SVOD giant may well outstrip the cable network in 2020. In any case, the pair are far ahead of other companies: the third-highest nomination tally is NBC’s 58.
It’s now down to the Televison Academy’s 24,000+ voters to watch the nominees and cast their votes online (their deadline is August 29). The Creative Arts Emmy Awards will be announced on September 21, followed by all the other awards the following day. The ceremony will be broadcast on Fox.
A list of all the nominees in the animation and vfx categories can be found below. For the full list of nominees in all categories, visit the Emmy website.
- Big Mouth “The Planned Parenthood Show” — Netflix
- Bob’s Burgers “Just One Of The Boyz 4 Now For Now” — FOX
- BoJack Horseman “Free Churro” — Netflix
- Adventure Time “Come Along With Me” — Cartoon Network
- The Simpsons “Mad About The Toy” — FOX
Short Form Animated Program
- Love, Death & Robots “The Witness” — Netflix
- Robot Chicken “Why Is It Wet?” — Adult Swim
- SpongeBob SquarePants “Plankton Paranoia” — Nickelodeon
- Steven Universe “Reunited” — Cartoon Network
- Teen Titans Go! “Nostalgia Is Not A Substitute For An Actual Story” — Cartoon Network
- Carmen Sandiego — Netflix
- A Series Of Unfortunate Events — Netflix
- Song Of Parkland — HBO
- Star Wars Resistance — Disney Channel
- When You Wish Upon A Pickle: A Sesame Street Special — HBO
Character Voice-over Performance
- Kevin Michael Richardson as Rosie — F Is For Family “The Stinger” — Netflix
- Seth MacFarlane as Peter Griffin, Stewie Griffin, Brian Griffin, Glenn Quagmire, Tom Tucker, Seamus — Family Guy “Con Heiress” — FOX
- Alex Borstein as Lois Griffin, Tricia Takanawa — Family Guy “Throw It Away” — FOX
- Hank Azaria as Moe, Carl, Duffman, Kirk — The Simpsons “From Russia Without Love” — FOX
- Eric Jacobson as Bert, Grover, Oscar — When You Wish Upon A Pickle: A Sesame Street Special — HBO
Main Title Design
- Conversations With A Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes — Netflix — A Radical Media Production in association with Third Eye Motion Picture Company
- Game Of Thrones — HBO — HBO Entertainment in association with Bighead, Littlehead; 360 Television/Startling Television
- Star Trek: Discovery — CBS (CBS All Access) — CBS Television Studios/Secret Hideout/Roddenberry Entertainment
- True Detective — HBO — HBO Entertainment in association with Neon Black, Passenger, Parliament of Owls
- Warrior — Cinemax — Tropper Ink, Perfect Storm, Bruce Lee Entertainment
Special Visual Effects
- Game Of Thrones “The Bells” — HBO — Joe Bauer, Lead Visual Effects Supervisor; Steve Kullback, Lead Visual Effects Producer; Adam Chazen, Visual Effects Associate Producer; Sam Conway, Special Effects Supervisor; Mohsen Mousavi, Visual Effects Supervisor; Martin Hill, Visual Effects Supervisor; Ted Rae, Visual Effects Plate Supervisor; Patrick Tiberius Gehlen, Previs Lead; Thomas Schelesny, Visual Effects and Animation Supervisor
- The Man In The High Castle “Jahr Null” — Prime Video — Lawson Deming, Senior VFX Supervisor; Cory Jamieson, VFX Executive Producer; Casi Blume, CG Supervisor; Nick Chamberlain, Comp Supervisor; Bill Parker, Comp Supervisor; Saber Jlassi, Dynamics Lead; Chris Parks, Animation Lead; Brian Hobert, Comp Lead; Danielle Malambri, VFX Coordinator
- The Orville “Identity Part II” — FOX — Luke McDonald, Visual Effects Supervisor; Tommy Tran, Visual Effects Supervisor; Kevin Lingenfelser, Visual Effects Supervisor; Nhat Phong Tran, Visual Effects Supervisor; Brooke Noska, Visual Effects Producer; Melissa Delong, Visual Effects Producer; Brandon Fayette, DFX Supervisor; Matt Von Brock, CG Supervisor; Joseph Vincent Pike, Compositing Supervisor
- Star Trek: Discovery “Such Sweet Sorrow, Part 2” — CBS (CBS All Access) — Jason Michael Zimmerman, VFX Supervisor; Ante Dekovic, VFX Supervisor; Ivan Kondrup Jensen, VFX Supervisor; Mahmoud Rahnama, Associate VFX Supervisor; Alexander Wood, VFX Plate Supervisor; Aleksandra Kochoska, VFX Producer; Charles Collyer, Lead VFX Artist; Fausto Tejeda, CG Supervisor; Darcy Callaghan, Special Effects Coordinator
- The Umbrella Academy “The White Violin” — Netflix — Everett Burrell, Senior Visual Effects Supervisor; Chris White, Visual Effects Supervisor; Jeff Campbell, Visual Effects Supervisor; Sebastien Bergeron, Visual Effects Supervisor; Sean Schur, Visual Effects Supervisor; Steve Dellerson, Visual Effects Producer; Libby Hazell, Visual Effects Producer; Carrie Richardson, Visual Effects Producer; Misato Shinohara, Visual Effects Production Manager
Special Visual Effects in a Supporting Role
- Catch-22 “Episode 4” — Hulu — Matt Kasmir, VFX Supervisor; Brian Connor, VFX Supervisor; Dan Charbit, VFX Supervisor; Matthew Wheelon Hunt, VFX Producer; Alun Cummings, VFX Producer; Gavin Harrison, CG Supervisor; Giovanni Casadei, CG Supervisor; Remi Martin, 2D Compositing Supervisor; Peter Farkas, 2D Compositing Supervisor
- Chernobyl “1:23:45” — HBO — Max Dennison, Overall VFX Supervisor: DNEG; Lindsay McFarlane, Overall VFX Producer; Claudius Christian Rauch, SFX Supervisor; Clare Cheetham, VFX Producer: DNEG; Laura Bethencourt Montes, VFX Line Producer: DNEG; Steven Godfrey, CG Supervisor: DNEG; Luke Letkey, 2D Supervisor: DNEG; Christian Waite, FX Supervisor: DNEG; William Foulser, Environments Supervisor: DNEG
- Deadwood — HBO — Eric Hayden, VFX Supervisor; David Altenau, VFX Supervisor; Alex Torres, VFX Producer; Joseph Vincent Pike, Compositor; Ian Northrop, Compositor; Christopher Flynn, Compositor; David Blumenfeld, Animator; Matthew Rappaport, Animator; David Rand, Animator
- Escape At Dannemora “Episode 6” — Showtime — Steven Kirshoff, Special Effects Supervisor; Joe Heffernan, Special Effects Coordinator; John Bair, Visual Effects Supervisor; Djuna Wahlrab, Visual Effects Supervisor; Matthew Griffin, Visual Effects Producer; Shannen Walsh, Visual Effects Coordinator; Joseph Brigati, Lead Compositor; Vance Miller, CG Supervisor; Min Hwa Jung, Senior Compositor
- Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan “Pilot” — Prime Video — Erik Henry, Senior Visual Effects Supervisor; Matt Robken, Senior Visual Effects Producer; Jamie Klein, Senior Visual Effects Coordinator; Pau Costa Moeller, Senior Visual Effects Coordinator; Bobo Skipper, Visual Effects Supervisor; Deak Ferrand, Matte Painter; Crawford Reilly, 2D Lead; Joseph Karsparian, 2D Lead; Francois Lambert, CG Lead
Original Interactive Program
- First Man VR — Windows Mixed Reality — Universal Pictures, Create Advertising, RYOT
- HQ Trivia x Warner Bros.: A Live And Interactive Animation First — HQ Trivia App — HQ Trivia, Warner Bros. Pictures, Animal Logic
- NASA InSight’s Mars Landing — NASA TV — NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory
- Traveling While Black — Oculus — Felix & Paul
- You Vs. Wild — Netflix — Electus and Bear Grylls Ventures
Creative Achievement in Interactive Media within a Scripted Program
- Bandersnatch (Black Mirror) — Netflix — House of Tomorrow
- Game Of Thrones: Fight For The Living: Beyond The Wall Virtual Reality Experience — HBO — Framestore, TwentyFour 7
- The Good Place: Interactive Fan Experience — NBC — NBC Entertainment