The European Film Academy has announced the animated nominees for the 34th European Film Awards, which will be presented in Berlin, Germany on December 11.
The nominees are:
- The Ape Star — dir. Linda Hambäck (Sweden/Norway/Denmark)
- Even Mice Belong in Heaven — dirs. Denisa Grimmová, Jan Bubeníček (Czech Republic/France/Poland/Slovakia)
- Flee — dir. Jonas Poher Rasmussen (Denmark/France/Sweden/Norway)
- Where Is Anne Frank — dir. Ari Folman (Belgium/Luxembourg/Israel/Netherlands/France)
- Wolfwalkers — dirs. Tomm Moore, Ross Stewart (Ireland/Luxembourg/France)
We’ve written about how Flee, the lauded story of an Afghan refugee in Denmark, can be nominated for either animation or documentary categories (as well as international feature awards, where those exist). Well, at the EFAs, the film is having its cake and eating it too: it is nominated for both. There’s a chance this will split its vote, harming its chances of winning either. Flee is also nominated for the European University Film Award, which is voted for by college students.