The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has announced the 10-film shortlist of animated shorts that will advance in the voting process for the 92nd Academy Awards.
The 10 films are listed below in alphabetical order by title:
- Dcera (Daughter) — Daria Kashcheeva (Czech Republic)
- Hair Love — Matthew A. Cherry, Everett Downing Jr., Bruce W. Smith (USA)
- He Can’t Live without Cosmos — Konstantin Bronzit (Russia)
- Hors Piste – Leo Brunel, Loris Cavalier, Camille Jalabert, Oscar Malet (France)
- Kitbull — Rosana Sullivan (USA)
- Memorable — Bruno Collet (France)
- Mind My Mind — Floor Adams (Netherlands)
- The Physics of Sorrow — Theodore Ushev (Canada)
- Sister — Siqi Song (USA)
- Uncle Thomas: Accounting for the Days — Regina Pessoa (Canada, France, Portugal)
Notably, two of the top three films selected by our group of industry experts — The Physics of Sorrow by Theodore Ushev and Daughter by Daria Kashcheeva — appear on the Academy’s shortlist. This is a significant improvement over last year, when all three top films selected by our panel of experts were snubbed. This shift in taste is a good argument in favor of the rapid expansion of the Academy’s Short Films and Feature Animation branch, which has added a more diverse pool of members who recognize animation beyond its commercial applications.