The Academy has unveiled the 15 animated short films that have been shortlisted for the 95th Oscars, to be held on March 12, 2023.
This year’s diverse list includes films with main producers from 10 different countries. Six feature female directors and two are debut films. Eighty-one films qualified in the category, and members of the short films and feature animation branches voted to determine the shortlist and will select the eventual nominees.
95th Academy Award Animated Short Shortlist
- Black Slide (Uri Lotan, Israel, U.K.)
- The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse (Peter Baynton, U.S.)
- The Debutante (Elizabeth Hobbs, U.K.)
- The Flying Sailor (Amanda Forbis, Wendy Tilby, Canada)
- The Garbage Man (Laura Gonçalves, Portugal)
- Ice Merchants (João Gonzalez, Portugal, France, United Kingdom)
- It’s Nice in Here (Robert-Jonathan Koeyers, Netherlands)
- More than I Want to Remember (Amy Bench, U.S.)
- My Year of Dicks (Sara Gunnarsdóttir, U.S.)
- New Moon (Jérémie Balais, Jeff Le Bars, Raúl Domingo, France)
- An Ostrich Told Me the World Is Fake and I Think I Believe It (Lachlan Pendragon, Australia)
- Passenger (Juan Pablo Zaramella, Argentina)
- Save Ralph (Spencer Susser, U.S.)
- Sierra (Sander Joon, Estonia)
- Steakhouse (Špela Čadež, Slovenia, Germany, France)
Last year, the Academy expanded the shortlist from 10 to 15 films, which proved a major benefit to independent and international works that were slowly being nudged out of the competition by big studios that had deep pockets to campaign with.