Walt Disney Animation Studios has dropped the first teaser trailer for its upcoming feature Strange World, as well as a new poster.
No new plot information was released with the teaser today, but here’s what we know from when the film was announced last year and can glean from the teaser:
- Strange World is directed by Oscar-winning filmmaker Don Hall (Big Hero 6, Raya and the Last Dragon) and co-directed by its writer Qui Nguyen (co-writer on Raya and the Last Dragon). Roy Conli (Big Hero 6, Tangled) produces.
- The original action-adventure flick journeys deep into an uncharted and treacherous land where fantastical creatures await the legendary Clades, a family of explorers whose differences threaten to topple their latest—and by far— most crucial mission.
- When the film was announced in December of last year, Hall explained that the feature is a nod to pulp magazines from the first half of the 20th century. “I loved reading the old issues of pulps growing up,” he said. “They were big adventures in which a group of explorers might discover a hidden world or ancient creatures. They’ve been a huge inspiration for Strange World.”
- In the teaser we’re introduced to Searcher Clade, voiced by Jake Gyllenhaal, the film’s reluctant protagonist. The son of a famous exploring family, Searcher can be heard in the teaser complaining that, “I’m not an explorer, I’m a farmer,” before attempting to bail on the group’s otherworldly adventure at the first opportunity.
- Strange World will hit theaters on November 23, 2022, the same Thanksgiving slot occupied by Encanto last year.