The festival has separate competition categories for narrative and non-narrative animation, a smart thing to do since non-narrative work is almost always overlooked by jury members when it competes against narrative work. Other competition categories include student films, shorts for 6-12, shorts for preschool, and virtual reality. For the full listing of films in competition, visit the festival website.
For the OIAF feature competition segment, seven full-length films were selected:
- North of Blue by Joanna Priestly and Jamie Haggerty (USA)
- This Magnificent Cake! by Emma De Swaef and Marc James Roels (Belgium)
- Seder-Masochism by Nina Paley (USA)
- On Happiness Road by Hsin-Yin Sung (Taiwan)
- Captain Morten and the Spider Queen by Kaspar Jancis (Estonia)
- Virus Tropical by Lison Hervé (Colombia)
- Ville Neuve by Felix Dufour-Laperriere (Canada)
The international jury this year is comprsied of Steve Subotnick, Chintis Lundgren, Chel White, Kelly Sears, Nicolas Brault, and Igor Prassel.
The OIAF runs from September 26-30 in Ottawa, Canada. For details on how to attend, visit animationfestival.ca.
(Pictured at top: “This Magnificent Cake” by Emma De Swaef and Marc James Roels, screening in the feature competition)