Disney-Pixar’s classic 2008 feature Wall-E, from director Andrew Stanton, is the first collaboration between Disney and the Criterion Collection.
Pre-sales are now open for the 4k UHD and Blu-Ray special edition, which will be available starting November 22.
“A high-water mark of digital animation, this prescient vision of a dystopian future is packaged within a dazzling pop-science-fiction love story, making for an urgent fable for our troubled millennium,” reads Criterion’s promotional material for the special release.
Wall-E was an instant hit for Disney, making over $521.3 million at the box office and winning the 2009 Oscar for best animated feature.
Features included with the the 4k UHD and Blu-Ray special edition include:
- 4K digital master, approved by director Andrew Stanton, with Dolby Atmos soundtrack
- One 4K UHD disc of the film, presented in both Dolby Vision HDR and HDR10+, and two Blu-rays with the film and special features
- Alternate 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio and stereo soundtracks
- Two audio commentaries: one featuring Stanton and the other with character supervisor Bill Wise, co-producer Lindsey Collins, story artist Derek Thompson, and lead animator Angus MacLane
- New programs on Stanton’s cinematic influences and production designer Ralph Eggleston’s color scripts
- Tour of the Pixar Living Archive with Stanton
- Behind-the-scenes look at the making of the film, including segments from early animation reels
- The Pixar Story (2007), a documentary by Leslie Iwerks
- More than a dozen documentaries exploring the film’s production and robots
- Anatomy of a Scene: The Plant, a masterclass with Stanton
- WALL-E: A to Z, a new program featuring Stanton and co-screenwriter Jim Reardon
- Deleted scenes featuring commentary by Stanton
- A Story (1987), a student film by Stanton
- BURN-E (2008), a short film by MacLane
- English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- English descriptive audio
- An essay by author Sam Wasson; selections from Stanton’s sketchbooks, script notes, and drawings; and artwork from the WALL-E team