Cake and Reel FX are teaming up with Oscar-nominated Bridesmaids screenwriter Annie Mumolo and Groundlings improv comedy actor Ariane Price on a new cg animated series titled Lulu and the Help You Crew.
- Targeted at kids between three and five, the show’s synopsis reads: “Lulu is an extraordinary eight-year-old girl who lives in the multicultural melting-pot of Vista Feliz with her Argentinian grandmother Abuelita and an eccentric, hilarious, and perfectly imperfect crew of rescued pets; a cat, chameleon, turtle, and puppy, all of whom she gave a second chance, a home and a different kind of family. Together, they help the town’s pets and young animals overcome everyday childhood challenges such as feeling overwhelmed by new experiences, dealing with sibling rivalry, being worried about what other people think, and being afraid of the dark, to find the confidence to be their best selves, both inside and out.”
- The show is based on Price’s book The Amazing Ned and inspired by her and Mumolo’s experiences of growing up with mixed ethnicities.
- Cake is leading development and production with Reel FX Animation serving as executive producer. Cake will distribute the series internationally.
- Cake CEO Ed Galton said in a release: “Lulu and The Help You Crew is a show that we feel perfectly meets the needs of our time. Ariane and Annie are stars on the improv scene and so we are very excited about what that can bring to younger audiences.”
- In a joint statement, Mumolo and Price said: “As mothers, pet rescuers, and comedians we are excited to share this heartfelt project that will have both kids and their parents laughing and learning.”