Genndy Tartakovsky has signed an exclusive, multi-year, cross-studio overall deal with Cartoon Network Studios (CNS) and Warner Bros. Animation (WBA).
Here are the details of the agreement:
- Tartakovsky will develop, create, and produce original animated content at CNS and WBA for a range of audiences and for varying platforms including HBO Max, external streaming services, cable, and broadcast networks. According to a release, the deal will give Tartakovsky “maximum creative flexibility to develop original material and access to the extensive character and franchise libraries at each studio.”
- In the history of Cartoon Network, which turns 30 this year, few figures stand taller than Tartakovsky. A cult hero for many animation fans, he is the director, writer, and producer of some of Cartoon Network’s most popular series, including Dexter’s Laboratory, Samurai Jack, and Star Wars: Clone Wars. There, he also helped produce and direct The Powerpuff Girls. He has been nominated for 13 primetime Emmy Awards, winning five.
- Tartekovsky is currently working on Unicorn; Warriors Eternal, which hosted an Annecy work-in-progress presentation on Tuesday afternoon. The event series, bound for HBO Max and Cartoon Network, is inspired by myths and lore from across the globe and follows a team of ancient teen heroes as they work together to protect the world from an ominous force. Season two of his ongoing series Primal will premiere later this summer on Warner’s Adult Swim.
- In a release, CNS and WBA president Sam Register said: “Genndy is a true visionary who embodies the creator spirit of Cartoon Network Studios. As he continues to push the boundaries of storytelling and animation, we are excited to have a front row seat both here and now also at Warner Bros. Animation.”
- Tartakovsky added: “My time at Cartoon Network Studios, since its inception, has been the most creatively formative and fulfilling years of my career. I now find myself continuing that amazing relationship as well as bringing in Warner Bros. Animation – the home to everything that inspired me to become an animator in the first place. I am beyond excited to see what we do next!”
- Tartakovsky is represented by WME.
Pictured above: Genndy Tartakovsky, “Unicorn: Warriors Eternal”