Sony Pictures Imageworks Sets Up Studio In Montreal, Will Create 150 New Jobs
Animation and vfx powerhouse Sony Pictures Imageworks is expanding its physical presence in Montreal with a new office.
In animation, Imageworks recently worked on Chris William’s The Sea Beast and is currently working on the Spider-Verse sequels and K-Pop: Demon Hunters, among other projects. The company’s vfx work includes Marvel blockbusters Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania, and the upcoming The Marvels.
Details about the new studio:
- Located in the historical Old Port neighborhood of Montreal, the offices will create 150 positions, adding to the company’s rank of more than 1,000 current employees between its Vancouver and L.A. offices. Among the current Montreal job listings on Imageworks’ site are positions for animator, compositor, and lighter, all of which have starting salaries of Usd$22.50/hour.
- Sony’s new Montreal offices will be headed by Laura Fitzpatrick, who joined the company last year as vp of new business. Before that, she served as global managing director at vfx outfit Mr. X, where she oversaw strategic growth planning, financial oversight, and management of teams across multiple facilities.
- With the expansion, senior vfx producer Doug Oddy is being promoted to vp of vfx, new business. He will oversee third-party vfx business development, strategic planning for long-term growth, and client engagement. Eddy’s recent work includes vfx producer on an episode of Love, Death + Robots, Jumanji: The Next Level, and Men in Black: International.
- Fitzpatrick and Oddy will report to Sony Pictures Imageworks executive vp Michelle Grady.
- According to Grady, “The growing vfx and animation industry coupled with the established talent base makes Montreal the perfect location for expansion and will allow Imageworks to continue to execute the diverse creative visions of our clients.”
News of the Montreal studio was first reported by Deadline.
Pictured at top: Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse