The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has announced the 10-film shortlist of animated shorts that will advance in the voting process for the 89th Academy Awards. It was the most competitive year ever in the shorts category.
The 10 films are listed below in alphabetical order by title:
- Blind Vaysha—Theodore Ushev, director (National Film Board of Canada)
- Borrowed Time—Andrew Coats and Lou Hamou-Lhadj, directors (Quorum Films)
- Happy End—Jan Saska, director (FAMU – Film and TV School of the Academy of Performing Arts in Prague)
- The Head Vanishes—Franck Dion, director (Papy3D Productions, National Film Board of Canada and ARTE France Cinema Department)
- Inner Workings—Leo Matsuda, director, and Sean Lurie, producer (Walt Disney Animation Studios)
- Once upon a Line—Alicja Jasina, director (University of Southern California)>
Pear Cider and Cigarettes—Robert Valley, director, and Cara Speller, producer (Massive Swerve Studios and Passion Pictures Animation)
- Pearl—Patrick Osborne, director (Google Spotlight Stories/Evil Eye Pictures)
- Piper—Alan Barillaro, director, and Marc Sondheimer, producer (Pixar Animation Studios)
Sous Tes Doigts (Under Your Fingers)—Marie-Christine Courtès, director, and Ludivine Berthouloux, art director (Vivement Lundi! and Novanima)
Members of the Short Films and Feature Animation Branch members will now select five nominees from among these titles at branch screenings to be held in Los Angeles, London, New York, and San Francisco in December. The nominations will be announced on January 24, 2017.