Julian Goford and Jonathan Sloman inform us that at 7pm GMT on Wednesday the 19th of October, Resonance 104.4FM (London’s first radio art station) will broadcast Smarter Than The Average, an hour-long program on cartoons, comics and comedy. The show takes the form of a live studio discussion interspersed with numerous rare audio clips, many previously unbroadcast, some even banned. Listeners not in London will be able to hear the show online via the Resonance website.Here’s some of the stuff they promise to transmit:
• One of Warner Brothers’ wartime Private Snafu cartoons, designed to be shown only to the Army.
• The soundtrack to Coal Black And De Sebben Dwarfs.
• Extracts from the presskit for Yellow Submarine’s 1999 reissue, including interviews with The Beatles, Heinz Edelmann, Paul Angelis and Roger McGough.
• Don Messick and June Foray ad-libbing a dirty joke during a voiceover session.
• A tribute to Frank Gorshin (1933 – 2005).
• Billy West explaining how he creates the voices of Ren and Stimpy.
• Rolf Harris interviews Friz Freleng and Chuck Jones.
Sounds like fun.