‘Jujutsu Kaisen’ Creator Sunghoo Park’s New Studio Project Headlines Disney’s Upcoming Anime Slate
At Disney’s annual content showcase in Singapore, the company unveiled its upcoming anime slate and an expanded partnership with longtime Japanese collaborator Kodansha.
The first title announced under the expanded Kodansha deal is a second season for Tokyo Revengers subtitled Tokyo Revengers “Christmas Showdown Arc”. The new season will launch on Disney+ and Disney+ Hotstar in January of next year.
During its presentation, Disney also revealed that the total hours of locally-produced Asian content streamed on Disney+ is now eight times more than it was last year at this time. It’s a clear point of emphasis for the company as anime’s popularity continues to grow worldwide.
Pipeline titles highlighted by Disney during its anime presentation included:
Project BULLET/BULLET (working title)
- Project BULLET/BULLET is being produced out of Sunghoo Park’s (Jujutsu Kaisen, The God of High School) new studio E&H Production.
- No details about the plot, production, or casting are available yet, but the production will stream on Disney+ when it’s finished.
- Adapted from Osamu Tezuka’s manga Phoenix, this story unspools during a time of expansive space colonization. STUDIO4°C is producing with plans to release exclusively on Disney+ in 2023.
- In the production, Romi and her partner leave a dying Earth and head to the planet Eden 17 to start a new life. Bu the time they arrive, life on the new planet has already died out, and the two struggle to start their lives over again.
- Another sci-fi title, Bandai Namco Group produces this 3d-animated title directed by Yusuke Yamamoto (Angel Links, Mobile Suit V Gundam).
- SYNDUALITY unspools on a world whose surface has been decimated by acid rain, forcing its inhabitants to flee the deadly precipitation. After years of avoiding the rains, humanity is finally beginning to overcome the adverse situation, thanks largely in part to vehicles enhanced by AI.
Murai no Koi
- This romantic comedy is adapted from a popular manga of the same name which has already received a live-action adaptation that aired on TBS’s late-night programming block Dreama Stream in April of this year.
- The live-action series told the story of Tanaka, a teacher who has never been in a real-life romance but loves story-based dating video games, and Murai, a high school student in love with Tanaka.
Dragons of Wonderhatch
- A live-action/animation hybrid series, Dragons of Wonderhatch is billed as a “fantasy blockbuster” and is helmed by Kentaro Hagiwara (Tokyo Ghoul). Takashi Ootsuka (One Piece: Stampede) is animation director, with Production I.G. handling the execution of the animation.
- The show’s narrative turns on a high school girl living in the real world and a boy from a world of Dragon Riders. It is scheduled to hit Disney+ in the winter of 2023.
Pictured at top: Artwork for Project BULLET/BULLET (working title)
Correction: When this article was published, Project BULLET/BULLET was labeled as the first E&H production production, but the studio reached out to let us know that Ninja Kamui will be the studio’s first production.