This awards season has seen four animated features jump out as favorites at nearly every major ceremony, with the fifth spot usually the only question mark.
The British Academy of Film and Television Arts Awards (BAFTAs), the U.K.’s equivalent of the Oscars, have decided to ignore that question altogether, and have nominated just the four favorites for their best animated feature prize: Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio, Marcel the Shell with Shoes On, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, and Turning Red.
Guillermo del Toro’s Pìnocchio is also nominated for original score and production design.
In the British Short Animation category, Peter Baynton and Charlie Mackesy’s Oscar-shortlisted The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse goes up against Middle Watch from Kung Fu Panda director John Stevenson and Aiesha Penwarden, and Your Mountain is Waiting by Hannah Jacobs.
As is the case with most of this year’s vfx awards, Avatar: The Way of Water looks the favorite in an impressive field that also includes All Quiet on the Western Front, The Batman, Everything Everywhere All at Once, and Top Gun: Maverick.
This year’s BAFTA Awards will take place at the Royal Festival Hall in London on Sunday, Feb. 19.
2023 Animation and Vfx Bafta Nominations
Best Animated Feature
- Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio, Guillermo del Toro, Mark Gustafson, Gary Ungar, Alex Bulkley
- Marcel the Shell with Shoes On, Dean Fleisher Camp, Andrew Goldman, Elisabeth Holm, Caroline Kaplan, Paul Mezey
- Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, Joel Crawford, Mark Swift
- Turning Red, Domee Shi, Lindsey Collins
British Short Animation
- The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse, Peter Baynton, Charlie Mackesy, Cara Speller, Hannah Minghella
- Middle Watch, John Stevenson, Aiesha Penwarden, Giles Healy
- Your Mountain is Waiting, Hannah Jacobs, Zoe Muslim, Harriet Gillian
Special Visual Effects
- All Quiet on the Western Front, Markus Frank, Kamil Jafar, Viktor Müller, Frank Petzoid
- Avatar: The Way of Water, Richard Baneham, Daniel Barrett, Joe Letteri, Eric Saindon
- The Batman, Russell Earl, Dan Lemmon, Anders Langlands, Dominic Tuohy
- Everything Everywhere All at Once, Benjamin Brewer, Ethan Feldbau, Jonathan Kombrinck, Zak Stoltz
- Top Gun: Maverick, Seth Hill, Scott R. Fisher, Bryan Litson, Ryan Tudhope
- All Quiet on the Western Front, Volker Bertelmann
- Babylon, Justin Hurwitz
- The Banshees of Inisherin, Carter Burwell
- Everything Everywhere All at Once, Son Lux
- Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio, Alexandre Desplat
- All Quiet on the Western Front, Christian M. Goldbeck, Ernestine Hipper
- Babylon, Florencia Martin, Anthony Carlino
- The Batman, James Chinlund, Lee Sandales
- Elvis, Catherine Martin, Karen Murphy, Bev Dunn
- Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio, Curt Enderle, Guy Davis
Pictured at top: Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio, Marcel the Shell with Shoes On, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, Turning Red
In the original version of this article, several of the production design credits were incorrect. They have now been updated and are accurate.