The committee has selected the following methods or devices for further consideration:
- Tissue: A Physically-Based Character Simulation Framework (Weta Digital)
- Zviz: Previsualization System (Lucasfilm)
- Light: Lighting Tool (PDI Dreamworks)
- Wavelet Turbulence for Fluid Simulation (University of California, Santa Barbara)
- Planar Tracking: mocha and Enabling Technology (Imagineer Systems Ltd.)
- Cine VCLX Portable Power System (Anton/Bauer)
- Matthews MAX Menace Arm (Matthews Studio Equipment)
After thorough investigations are conducted on each of the entries, the committee will meet in early December to vote on recommendations to the Academy’s Board of Governors, which will make the final awards decisions.
The 2012 Scientific and Technical Awards will be presented at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel in Beverly Hills on February 9, 2013.
Claims of prior art or similar technology must be submitted on the Academy’s website at oscars.org/awards/scitech/apply.html. For further information, contact Awards Administration Director Rich Miller at (310) 247-3000, ext. 1131, or via e-mail at [email protected].