The summer of Minions is still going strong. Last weekend, the film grossed $12.5 million globally, boosting its worldwide total to $989.4 million and making it the third highest-grossing animated feature of all-time. Minions edged out the $987.5M gross of Disney’s The Lion King for the bronze glory.
The current top-10 animation grossers of all-time are:
- Frozen (Disney): $1.27 billion
- Toy Story 3 (Pixar): $1.06 billion
- Minions (Illumination): $989.4 million
- The Lion King (Disney): $987.5 million
- Despicable Me 2 (Illumination): $970.8 million
- Finding Nemo (Pixar): $936.7 million
- Shrek 2 (DreamWorks): $919.8 million
- Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs (Blue Sky): $886.7 million
- Ice Age: Continental Drift (Blue Sky): $877.2 million
- Shrek the Third (DreamWorks): $799 million
Minions is now set to become only the third animated film ever to reach $1 billion at the worldwide box office. The film’s last major market is China next month, which will propel Minions past Toy Story 3′s lifetime total and earn second-place for the yellow henchmen on the all-time list.