Leading indie producer-distributor GKIDS has acquired all U.S. distribution rights to Jean-Christophe Roger and Julien Chheng’s Ernest & Celestine: A Trip to Gibberitia.
- A Trip to Gibberitia is a follow-up to the 2012 feature Ernest & Celestine. The film opened in French theaters in December of last year, and now GKIDS will host its U.S. premiere as the opening night feature of the New York International Children’s Film Festival on Friday, March 3.
- The sequel is directed by Roger, director of the Ernest & Celestine: The Collection animated series, and is joined by Emmy-nominated co-director Chheng, who worked on the original Ernest & Celestine film as a character animator and is directing an upcoming installation of Star Wars: Visions for Disney+. It’s produced by Folivari, Studiocanal, and Melusine Productions.
- Synopsis: Ernest and Celestine return in this delightful and joyous follow-up to their first adventure, which introduced a bear and mouse as the unlikeliest of friends. Ernest remains an ursine troubadour dedicated to a life of music and art, and his constant grouchiness is softened by the creative whims of his mouse friend Celestine. When she accidentally breaks his beloved violin, they must take a long voyage to Ernest’s country of Gibbertia, home to the only artist who can repair it. But when they arrive, they are shocked to discover that all forms of music have been banned in Gibbertia for many years, and a land once known across the world for its incredible musicians has fallen silent. It is up to Ernest and Celestine and their new friends, including a mysterious masked outlaw, to bring music and happiness back to the land of bears.
- GKIDS also distributed the first Ernest & Celestine film, which received a special mention at Cannes’ Directors Fortnight in 2012, won the French Academy César Award for best animated feature in 2013, and scored a best animated feature Oscar nomination in 2014, among its numerous other achievements.
- GKIDS President David Jesteadt said in a release: “After ten years, it’s wonderful to reunite with my favorite bear and mouse, Ernest and Celestine. Ernest and Celestine: A Trip to Gibbertia is full of the emotional warmth, comedy, and stunning animation that made the original film so iconic. Films of this quality are increasingly rare, and we are honored to be able to partner again with the producers on a new chapter with these beloved characters.”