Lightbox Expo is returning for its second virtual edition — and only its third ever — on September 7–12. The six-day convention marks an expansion on the previous weekend-long editions.
The event, which celebrates creators working across animation, illustration, and concept art, will feature over 400 guests and more than 200 presentations. The “artist alley,” an interactive space where users can sample the work of participating artists, will also return. Guests confirmed so far include:
- Domee Shi (director, Bao, upcoming Turning Red)
- Phil Boutte Jr. (costume concept artist, Black Panther)
- Maggie Kang (director, K-Pop: Demon Hunters)
- Derek Thompson (story artist, Toy Story 4)
- Armand Serrano (background designer, What If…?)
- Jill Culton (director, Abominable)
- Carlos Grangel (character designer, Tim Burton’s Corpse Bride)
For the third year, Lightbox Expo will host the Concept Art Awards, the only awards dedicated to the field. They will be held on Saturday, September 11 at 6 p.m. PST.