Warner has made a pair of exciting greenlight announcements, a Mexico-set, Aztec-era Batman feature and a sci-fi survival series from Joe Bennett and Charles Huettner.
Both series were commissioned for HBO Max. Here are the details that Warner has shared about each so far:
Batman Azteca: Choque de Imperios
- HBO Max Latin America is working on a new feature-length animated film which puts one of DC’s most popular heroes in a completely new time and place, Mesoamerica during the time of the Spanish invasion of Central America. The film was announced at the Guadalajara International Film Festival.
- Leading Mexican studio Ánima, which just launched its adult-YA division in August of last year, is handling animation.
- Synopsis: In the time of the Aztec Empire, Yohualli Coatl – a young Aztec boy – experiences tragedy when his father and village leader, Toltecatzin, is murdered by Spanish Conquistadors. Yohualli escapes to Tenochtitlan to warn King Moctezuma and his high priest, Yoka, of imminent danger. Using the temple of Tzinacan, the bat god, as a lair, Yohualli trains with his mentor and assistant, Acatzin, developing equipment and weaponry to confront the Spaniard invasion, protect Moctezuma’s temple, and avenge his father’s death.
- Warner Bros. Animation will produce with Ánima and Chatrone. Batman Azteca: Choque de Imperios is a Particular Crowd film and based on characters from DC. Juan Meza-León (Harley Quinn) will direct with José C. García de Letona, Aaron D. Berger, Carina Schulze, and Fernando De Fuentes producing, while Sam Register and Tomás Yankelevich serve as executive producers. Alejandro Diaz Barriga, a consultant specializing in Mesoamerican studies and ethnic history of Mexico and the Andean region, will work with the creative team to ensure that the indigenous representation portrayed in the film is appropriate and relevant.
- HBO Max also ordered to series Scavengers Reign, an original sci-fi series with strong indie credentials. The show is co-created and executive produced by Joe Bennett (From God’s Mouth to Your Ears, Scavengers) and Charles Huettner (Scavengers, Ghost Stories).
- Scavengers Reign follows the surviving crew members of a damaged deep space freighter who are stranded on a beautiful yet unforgiving planet. As the small group uncover the true nature of this planet, they must do everything in their power to survive long enough to escape or be rescued.
- Titmouse is handling animation on the sci-fi series, which was unveiled at the Annecy Intl. Film Festival last week with a short video teaser, linked below.
- Benjy Brooke serves as supervising director with Chris Prynoski, Antonio Canobbio, Shannon Prynoski, and Ben Kalina as executive producers for Titmouse. The series is co-executive produced by Sean Buckelew and James Merrill for Green Street Pictures.
The two projects join an ambitious HBO Max animation slate which includes a Looney Tunes musical feature; two Scooby series; comedy project Chelm: The Smartest Place on Earth from Sacha Baron Cohen, Mike Judge, and Greg Daniels; two anime projects in Rick and Morty: The Anime and Ninja Kamui; and two kids and family commissions in Driftwood and Invincible Fight Girl.
Pictured Above: “Batman Azteca: Choque de Imperios” and “Scavengers Reign”