The previously-announced feature adaptation of Dr. Seuss’ Oh, The Places You’ll Go! has found its director: Jon M. Chu.
Here’s what we know about the project right now:
- Based on Dr. Seuss’ final book, Oh, The Places You’ll Go! is being reenvisioned as a musical. It follows a young adventurer as “they journey through the joys and heartaches, and the peaks and valleys, of life.”
- Jon M. Chu most recently helmed the film adaptation of Lin-Manuel Miranda’s musical In the Heights for Warner Bros. Chu’s other directorial credits include Crazy Rich Asians, Jem and the Holograms, Step Up 2: The Streets, GI. Joe: Retaliation, and Justin Bieber’s Never Say Never. He is also attached to direct the film adaptation of Wicked for Universal.
- Oh, The Places You’ll Go! will release in 2027.
- This is the first animated feature that will be produced by Bad Robot, the production company run by Star Wars director J.J. Abrams and his producing partner and wife Katie McGrath. Abrams will serve as producer on the film along with Hannah Minghella, Bad Robot’s head of motion pictures.
- Oh, The Places You’ll Go! is part of the growing slate of animated projects that Warner Animation Group and Dr. Seuss Enterprises are developing, including a film adaption of The Cat in The Hat that will launch the new Dr. Seuss movie slate in 2024 with Erica Rivinoja and Art Hernandez on board as directors and Thing One and Thing Two (working title), an original feature-length film based on Seuss characters. Warner Animation Group says there will be other feature adaptations of Dr. Seuss material as well.