Mattel Films, Shadowmachine, Jennifer Lopez’s Nuyorican Productions, and actor-producer Anthony Ramos are teaming up on an animated Bob the Builder feature based on the long-running children’s tv series.
Bob the Builder will be the first theatrical animated feature produced by Mattel Films, which is riding high off the mega-success of the Barbie movie. It joins other Mattel projects in development, including American Girl, Barney, Hot Wheels, Magic 8 Ball, Major Matt Mason, Masters of the Universe, Matchbox, Polly Pocket, Rock’ Em Sock’ Em Robots, Thomas & Friends, UNO, View-Master, and Wishbone. Mattel Films is also developing Christmas Balloon, a holiday family drama based on all-new IP.
Here are the film’s details shared today by Mattel:
- The film’s synopsis reads: “When Roberto “Bob” travels to the enchanting Island of Puerto Rico for a major construction job, he takes on issues affecting the island and digs deeper into what it means to build. Bob’s journey will celebrate the vibrant and colorful textures of the Caribbean Latin nations and their people.”
- Felipe Vargas (Rosario, Loteria) is writing the film, which is being overseen by Kevin McKeon, Ivan Sanchez, and Arturo Thur De Koós for Mattel and Natalie Haack Flores for Nuyorican. No director was named in today’s release.
- Mattel Films president Robbie Brenner said in a release: “Pairing Anthony and Felipe’s genius vision for the story with Shadowmachine and Nuyorican’s artisan approach will capture this beloved character in a manner that audiences who grew up with Bob will recognize, and all-new audiences will enjoy.”
- Ramos (Hamilton, In the Heights), who will produce and lead the film’s voice cast, added: “For years, Bob the Builder’s characters have inspired young people around the world. I’m proud to partner with Mattel Films, ShadowMachine, Nuyorican Productions, and Felipe Vargas to bring this important message to the big screen, adding elements of life that are inspired by my own. A movie about friends working together, a celebration of a beautiful home they share, and how love can help to conquer any obstacle in your way. Can we fix it? Yes, we can!”
- Producing alongside Ramos are Alex Bulkley and Corey Campodonico at Shadowmachine, the studio behind last year’s animated feature Oscar winner Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio. Co-producers include Jennifer Lopez, Elaine Goldsmith-Thomas, and Benny Medina for Nuyorican Productions.