Netflix has revealed that for the past two years, Youtube creator James Rallison (17.8 million subscribers) has been working on an Odballs series for the platform which will be available to stream later this year.
Here are the details:
- Inspired by Rallison’s Youtube channel TheOdd1sOut, the comedy series is created by Rallison and Ethan Banville, who serve as executive producers alongside Carl Faruolo and Michael Zoumas, in partnership with Atomic Cartoons.
- Synopsis: Oddballs follows James, a bubble-shaped boy, whose observations on life fuel his comedic rants at everyday annoyances and elevates them to laughably absurd heights. Along with his best friends Max (a talking crocodile) and Echo (a girl who claims to be from the future), James’ ridiculous schemes to question norms often result in disaster.
- In our 2021 list of the 50 most-viewed indie animated shorts on YouTube, Rallison’s TheOdd1sOut appeared 14 times, occupying more than a quarter of the list.
- The show will release later this year. In a video published on TheOdd1sOut Youtube channel today (below), Rallison teases that he will be attending several conventions between now and the show’s release, where he’ll share more details and animation from the series.
- Rallison also revealed that the entire production of the new Netflix series was done in lockdown. “All the writing, storyboarding, designing, and voice acting has been done with little to no human interaction,” he explained. “I still have yet to work in an office. I just wanna lean against a water cooler and say things like, ‘Hey you see the game last night?’ Is that too much to ask?”
- For anyone concerned that TheOdd1sOut Youtube channel will be suffer for the sake of its creator’s new venture, worry not. In the video announcement, Rallison assures fans that the Youtube channel will continue to put out content as it always has, although perhaps at a slower pace.
- The show’s voice cast includes James Rallison, Julian Gant, Kimberly Brooks, Gary Anthony Williams, and Carl Faruolo.
Executive producers of Oddballs include Faruolo, Zoumas, Jennifer Twiner McCarron (Atomic Cartoons), Matthew Berkowitz, and Aaron Behl. Sarah Soh is supervising producer.