Video game studio Ko Op has dropped the trailer for their long-awaited game Goodbye Volcano High, which is now set to release on June 15, 2023.
Game and studio details:
- Synopsis: Goodbye Volcano High is a story about love, friendship, personal growth, acceptance, and the power of community in the face of disaster. (And dinosaurs!) Fang has just figured out what they want to do with their life, and now they’ve got to find out how to deal with the end of the world, be there for their loved ones, and follow through on their musical dreams before it’s too late.
- The game is developed by Ko Op, an artist-run and owned studio founded in 2012 that has published popular titles including GNOG, Lara Croft Go: Mirror of Spirits and Winding Worlds.
- The devs describe the game as a branching narrative adventure game in which players will have conversations and make choices to guide their character through a storyline. Although forging relationships is part of the game, Ko Op says Goodbye Volcano High is not a dating sim, and sparking intimate relationships is not the objective of its narrative.
- According to Ko Op, all the character art and backgrounds were hand drawn and animated in 2d using tools such as Unity, Spine2D, Ink, and Photoshop.
- Goodbye Volcano High has been in production for years and has had its release date pushed several times, largely due to the pandemic, leading some fans to think it had been canceled. That is not the case, however, and the game will release on Playstation 4 and 5 and Steam on June 15.
- According to the studio: “We aim to create a game that speaks to a diverse audience, and we are taking great care and doing the work to be mindful of all identities, sensitivities, and concerns. We are drawing specifically from the identities of those on our team. The representation, responsibility, and love that a game like this requires have always been of the utmost importance to us. We hope that you will see that we are telling our story in a safe and considerate way.”