The Annecy International Animation Film Festival has revealed nine virtual reality projects that will compete during the event that takes place June 10-15.
The festival received 90 submissions for its vr category this year, coming from nearly 30 different countries. Organizers reported that 47% of the submitted projects were from France or the U.S. However, only one American project made the cut in the final selection. More than 30% of the vr projects submitted were directed or co-directed by women, and two of them were selected for competition.
The selection committee was comprised of Yves Nougarède and Clémence Bragard. They observed that the vr submissions had a “particularly strong focus on gaming and interactive projects where the spectator rarely sits back and relaxes.”
Here is the full list of vr projects in competition:
- Ayahuasca – Kosmik Journey – Directed by Jan Kounen (France, Luxembourg)
- Doctor Who – The Runaway – Directed by Mathias Chelebourg (United Kingdom)
- Gloomy Eyes – Directed by Jorge Tereso, Fernando Maldonado (Argentina, France)
- Gymnasia – Directed by Chris Lavis, Maciek Szczerbowski (Canada)
- Le Cri VR – Directed by Sandra Paugam, Charles Ayats (France)
- Nothing to Be Written – Lysander Ashton (United Kingdom)
- The Lost Botanist – Directed by Ree Treweek, Rick Trewee (South Africa)
- Tx-reverse 360° – Directed by Virgil Widrich, Martin Reinhart (Austria, Germany)
- Wolves in the Walls, Chapter 2, It’s All Over! – Directed by Pete Billington (USA)
(Picture at top: “Gloomy Eyes”)