Web3 and NFT company Doodles has acquired U.K./U.S. animation studio Golden Wolf for an undisclosed purchase price.
Here’s what we know about the acquisition:
- Golden Wolf is a 2d animation studio with offices in London and New York that has done work for Adult Swim, Disney, Illumination, Nike, and Meta, among others. Properties featuring Golden Wolf animation include Rick and Morty, Owl House, and Ducktales, to name just a few.
- Doodles is a series of digital collectibles based around the artwork of artist Scott Martin (aka Burnt Toast), established in October 2021. The company now operates in numerous spaces including animation, gaming, merchandise, music, and live events.
- The deal is set to close in the coming weeks and will see Golden Wolf employees join Doodles. Golden Wolf CEO and founder Ingi Erlingsson will become Doodles’ chief content officer while continuing to run Golden Wolf’s offices in London and New York.
- After the deal is closed, the companies will kick off a collaboration between Golden Wolf and Doodles founder Scott Martin, using his brand and characters to create original series and video game content.
- Doodles also plans to leverage Golden Wolf’s current strategic partnership with animation studio Psyop to launch Active Ingredient, a joint venture they say will “reinvent storytelling and the tools used to make them a reality.” Active Ingredient will utilize AI and blockchain technology to develop new tools and techniques for both Doodles and Psyop with a long-term eye on creating a “360-degree animation production ecosystem.”
- Purchasing Golden Wolf is a clear signal that Doodles is looking to become more involved in the world of animation. The acquisition significantly strengthens Doodle’s creative capabilities and, according to the company, will broaden Doodles’ original content arm, expanding the growth of its ambitious Web3 ecosystem.
- In a press release, Erlingsson commented: “I’m thrilled by the idea of joining Burnt Toast and the rest of the Doodles team on this journey. This partnership will unlock boundless potential within each of our businesses, accelerating our goal of redefining entertainment through engaging storytelling and worlds.”
- Julian Holguin, CEO of Doodles, added: “We are excited about the prospect of welcoming the Golden Wolf team to Doodles. Web3 is powering a new generation of collecting, fandom, and consumer mindset. This investment is a move that advances our strategic priorities of creating world-class content, leveraging technology to incubate new formats, and ultimately, spreading joy to millions around the world.”