‘Bratz, L.O.L. Surprise!’ Manufacturer MGA Entertainment Launches MGA Studios, Acquires Pixel Zoo Animation
Chatsworth, California toy company MGA Entertainment Inc. has launched a new production label called MGA Studios and acquired Brisbane, Australia-based animation company Pixel Zoo Animation.
- According to MGA, “The move signals MGA’s strong commitment to growing its dominance in the rapidly evolving digital entertainment landscape by pursuing strategic gaming and tech acquisitions or partners.”
- MGA Studios will act as an independent subsidiary of MGA Entertainment Inc. It will acquire, partner on, and develop original content based on its existing and future franchises including L.O.L. Surprise!, Little Tikes, Bratz, Baby Born, and more.
- Jason Larian, son of MGA Entertainment founder/CEO Isaac Larian, is in charge of the new studio.
- MGA Entertainment and Pixel Zoo have already collaborated to bring some of MGA’s franchises into the world of animation, including in films such as L.O.L. Surprise! The Movie and L.O.L. Surprise! House of Surprises, as well as series including Rainbow High, Mermaze Mermaidz, Let’s Go Cozy Coupe, and others. Their latest project together, the film L.O.L. Surprise! Winter Fashion Show, landed on Netflix in October.
- Pixel Zoo is MGA Studios’ first acquisition. Under the terms of the deal, Pixel Zoo founder and CEO Paul Gillett will continue in his current role and support MGA Studios’ efforts to grow its digital entertainment footprint.
- In a release, Isaac Larian said: “While continued innovation in the toy category remains a key driver for our business, we understand the world is changing and are fully committed to carrying our winning legacy into this new and evolving digital landscape. In addition to growing our large catalog of television, movie, and streaming content, through MGA Studios we aim to create smaller and safer mini universes for our children to grow and develop in a seamless digital and physical entertainment ecosystem.”
- Gillett added: “During the past few years, we have been extremely impressed by MGA’s brands, how they partner with their suppliers, as well as their creative and execution capabilities. Intellectual property development has always been an important part of our studio and this opportunity allows our team to show the world what we can do. Working with MGA has been one of the most rewarding experiences we have had, so partnering with them is the next natural step for us.”
Pictured at top: L.O.L Surprise! Winter Fashion Show