What Animation Does Fox Corporation Own?
Welcome to our new series in which we map out what major corporations own in terms of animation and distribution platforms.
First up: Fox Corporation, the company formed out of the 21st Century Fox assets not acquired by Disney in 2019. (For a chart of what Disney owned as of 2019, click here.) It is controlled by the Murdoch family, with Lachlan Murdoch installed as executive chairman and CEO; his father Rupert is chairman. (Note: Fox is independent of News Corp, which is also controlled by the Murdochs and operates media like Fox News Channel and the New York Post.)
What follows is a list of animation-related companies/divisions and content Fox Corporation owns or co-owns, compiled to the best of our knowledge. This, and future entries in the series, will be updated as data becomes available.
- Bento Box Entertainment, an animation studio located in L.A. and Atlanta, Georgia. Fox acquired the company in 2019 and operates it as part of its tv production division Fox Entertainment.
- Princess Bento Studio, a new animation studio in Melbourne, Australia, which Bento Box will jointly manage with Australian production company Princess Pictures. The venture was announced in March 2021.
- Tubi, a free, ad-supported streaming service Fox acquired in April 2020 for $440 million. The platform has a decent if scattershot animation offering licensed from a wide variety of studios and content providers. Despite owning the platform, Fox does not appear to own any of the animation that it streams on Tubi.
- Blockchain Creative Labs, an NFT-focused company announced in May 2021. Details are scarce. Unveiling it, Fox Entertainment CEO Charlie Collier said, “We will also help your brands connect directly with fans and enthusiasts through NFTs [non-fungible tokens]. With and for you, Fox will help art meet brands meet technology.” Fox will use the blockchain tech to distribute and market its upcoming series Krapopolis (see below).
- Fox Broadcasting Company, home to the well-known Animation Domination programming block on Sunday nights. The block airs adult-oriented sitcoms like The Simpsons and Bob’s Burgers.
Fox Entertainment owns or co-owns many of the series that air as part of Animation Domination (in the case of co-productions, each company involved has an ownership stake in the show):
- The Great North (co-produced with Disney’s 20th Television Animation)
- Duncanville (co-produced with Disney’s 20th Television Animation and Comcast’s Universal Television)
- Housebroken (premiering May 31) (co-produced with Kapital Entertainment)
- Krapopolis (premiering in 2022)
Image at top: “Housebroken”