The International Federation of Film Producers’ Associations (FIAPF) and Women in Animation (WIA) have unveiled the six delegations selected for the first-ever Stories x Women program.
- Stories x Women is a program established to increase the diversity of voices in international animation. This year’s program will coach a group of filmmakers representing six animated projects to attend Annecy’s MIFA market, where they will pitch to potential future collaborators.
- Stories x Women’s stated mission is “to support access to international opportunities for women animators from emerging national film and audio-visual animation communities of Africa, Asia-Pacific and Latin America who want to tell their authentic stories.”
- The first call of Stories x Women was open to up to two team members, which had to include at least one woman leading the project.
- Attendees will participate in a series of mentoring sessions led by established industry veterans as well as one-on-one coaching sessions to prepare them to pitch at Annecy’s MIFA marketplace next month.
- The program is sponsored by Walt Disney Animation Studios, with additional support from Triggerfish Animation.
The six selected projects are in very early development, so details are still scant. But we do know who has been selected, and the titles of their projects:
- Highland’s Shadow (Argentina) – Paula Boffo (with Patricio Plaza)
- Cotton Bottom Town (Colombia) – Luisa Fernanda Velasquez (with Andrés Felipe Rodriguez Rodriguez)
- Greta’s Journal (Peru) – Elva Alessandra Arrieta Tabuzo (with Saul David Anampa Mesias)
- Miss Camel (Saudi Arabia) – Haifaa Al Mansour (with Brad Niemann)
- Rorisang & the Gurlz (South Africa) – Dr. Tshepo P. Maaka and Kabelo Maaka
- Gannu (Thailand) – Aimsinthu Ramasoot and Saraswathi Vani Balgam
Images from some of the projects are below: