Paramount and Nickelodeon are developing a trio of films based on Avatar: The Last Airbender.
Details are limited, but here’s what’s been announced so far:
- The first of the three films was announced in February 2021 by Paramount and Nickelodeon. Avatar: The Last Airbender and Voltron: Legendary Defender director Lauren Montgomery will direct the still-untitled first Avatar film, currently in development at Avatar Studios.
- Avatar Studios is a recently established division under the Paramount umbrella which was launched to create original productions, including series and films, based around the ultra-popular Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra franchises.
- The news of two more upcoming features was made by Paramount and Nickelodeon today at the Annecy In’l Animation Film Festival during a sold-out studio presentation.
- Ramsey Naito, president of animation and development at Paramount Animation and Nickelodeon Animation, said in a statement: “As original creators Mike and Bryan expand the Avatar universe with us, we’re keeping it all in the family with Lauren bringing the same kind of expert, beautiful work she did on the original series to her new directing duties on the forthcoming theatrical.”
- Nickelodeon and Paramount are keeping details about the two additional Avatar films under wraps for now.
“Avatar” creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael DiMartino are producing the first film, along with Eric Coleman.