Nickelodeon Animation has hired Montreal and Paris-based Mikros Animation (Paw Patrol: The Movie, Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie) to lead the cg efforts on the recently-titled Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem, set for theatrical release on August 4, 2023. Nick is also farming out a smaller chunk of the film to Paws of Fury: The Legend of Hank studio Cinesite Vancouver.
- In addition to Nickelodeon Animation Studios, Image Comics, Nickelodeon Movies, and Paramount Pictures, Mutant Mayhem is produced by Point Grey Pictures’ Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg, and James Weaver. The film is directed by Jeff Rowe (co-director, The Mitchells vs. The Machines) and co-directed by Kyler Spears (director, Amphibia).
- “The Ninja Turtles franchise is edgy, offbeat, and humorous, and the Mikros Animation team is ensuring we were doing justice to bringing the beloved turtles to big screens,” says Adrianna Cohen, global head of production at Mikros Animation. “The filmmaker’s vision was to introduce the characters through modern animation that maintains the fine balance between visually appealing and realistic. Focusing not just on craft, but also performance, it’s our job to develop the unique personalities of each of these iconic characters, whilst staying true to the 1990’s nostalgia that the franchise holds.”
- Cinesite’s chief animation operating officer Brad Wald added, “We couldn’t be more excited about our partnership with Nickelodeon and their trust in us as a leading animation studio to re-boot the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. We’re looking forward to welcoming A-class talent from across Canada and beyond to join our growing crew in Vancouver!”
- Both Mikros and Cinesite Vancouver are actively hiring artists for the TMNT film. Here are the open positions at Mikros and the open positions at Cinesite.
- Last week saw the release of the Ant Ward and Andy Suriano-directed Nickelodeon Turtles feature on Netflix, Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Movie. The Turtles are owned by Nickelodeon’s parent company Paramount.
- A wall mural was revealed in New York City as part of Mutant Mayhem’s official title unveiling, exactly one year ahead of the August 4, 2023 theatrical release date.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem is in theaters one year from today!!!!! pic.twitter.com/bm1jVyawa6
— Seth Rogen (@Sethrogen) August 4, 2022