Netflix’s Upcoming Animated Feature ‘The Magician’s Elephant’ Gets First Trailer
Netflix has unveiled the trailer for its upcoming animated feature The Magician’s Elephant, which will debut on the platform on March 17.
- The Magician’s Elephant is directed by Wendy Rogers (vfx supervisor on Flushed Away, The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian) and based on the popular eponymous book by Newbery Medal-winning author Kate DiCamillo.
- Synopsis: When young Peter, who is searching for his long-lost sister, crosses paths with a fortune teller in the market square, there is only one question on his mind: is his sister still alive? The answer — that he must follow a mysterious elephant — sets Peter off on a remarkable journey to complete three seemingly impossible tasks that magically change the face of his town forever.
- Animation for the film was handled by Australian studio Animal Logic, which was acquired by Netflix in July of last year.
- Produced by Julia Pistor (The Spongebob Squarepants Movie, Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius), the film’s crew includes production designer Max Boas, art director Iuri Lioi, editor Robert Fisher Jr., composer Mark Mothersbaugh, previs lead Gary H. Lee, head of story Mark Sperber, and line producer Jennifer Teter.
- The film’s voice cast features Sian Clifford, Pixie Davies, Natasia Demetriou, Dawn French, Brian Tyree Henry, Noah Jupe, Kirby Howell-Baptiste, Aasif Mandvi, Mandy Patinkin, Miranda Richardson, and Benedict Wong.
- Said Rogers of her directorial debut: “I think that the world needs movies about hope and optimism, and The Magician’s Elephant delivers that in a funny, quirky, and heartfelt adventure. To play off one of the most touching scenes in the book and our film, I would say it’s like a great big bowl of cinematic stew, a nourishing mix of plenty of action and moments of comedy, but also unafraid of being deep and conversation-worthy.”