Genius Brands Unveils New Platform Genius Networks, Consolidating Frederator Network, Kartoon Channel!, And Ameba
Genius Brands is consolidating its three consumer platforms Kartoon Channel!, Ameba TV, and Frederator Network under a single banner, Genius Networks.
Here are the changes the company has made:
- Todd Steinman takes the reins as president at Genius Networks. The new unit will combine the catalogs of the three platforms and be available across the media landscape including on SVOD, AVOD, and free ad-supported streaming tv (“FAST”) channels.
- Genius Brands launched Kartoon Channel! in 2020 and last year acquired Canada’s WOW! Unlimited Media, which brought Frederator Network under the company’s umbrella. Genius Brands also acquired Ameba TV in early 2022.
- Frederator – Frederator is a streaming video service and producer of animation for other streamers, linear tv, and online platforms. This is the second time in as many weeks that Frederator has been in the headlines, as the company recently sold a 50% stake in its shows Bravest Warriors and Bee And Puppycat to Toho. Other Frederator-produced shows include The Fairly Oddparents, Adventure Time, and Castlevania.
- Kartoon Channel! – A digital channel for kids and family entertainment, Kartoon Channel!’s catalog includes The Wubbulous World of Dr. Seuss, Mellodees, Baby Genius, Angry Birds, Yu-Gi-Oh!, and more.
- Ameba – This video streaming service features kids’ tv shows and music videos designed to inspire curiosity and educate young viewers, introducing them to the wider world.
- Steinman is a long-time digital media executive who joined Genius last year as chief revenue and marketing officer at Kartoon Channel! Before that, he served as a vp at The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer division where he represented the company’s portfolio of brands including Disney, Hulu, ESPN, ABC, and more. He also worked for a time at NBC Universal, where he negotiated deals with media giants including Google, Youtube, Amazon, Twitter, and others.
- Steinman said in a release: “We have a very talented, innovative, and committed team, and given the current breadth of our brands on a multitude of platforms, we are positioned to drive growth and enhance profitability for each of our brands. Growth must go hand in hand with profitability, and that will be my focus.”
Pictured at top: Frederator’s Bravest Warriors