Netflix has shared the trailer for Guillermo del Toro’s stop-motion feature Pinocchio, which will debut in select theaters in November before heading to the platform sometime in December.
- The feature is directed by del Toro and Mark Gustafson (The PJs, animation department on Fantastic Mr. Fox and Will Vinton’s A Claymation Christmas Celebration). Del Toro also co-wrote the script with Patrick McHale (Over the Garden Wall, Adventure Time).
- The film’s puppets were supplied by Wooden Boy’s Georgina Hayns (Corpse Bride). Animation is handled by Shadowmachine’s Portland studio.
- Synopsis: Academy Award-winning filmmaker Guillermo del Toro reinvents Carlo Collodi’s classic tale of the wooden marionette who is magically brought to life in order to mend the heart of a grieving woodcarver named Geppetto. This whimsical, stop-motion film directed by Guillermo del Toro and Mark Gustafson follows the mischievous and disobedient adventures of Pinocchio in his pursuit of a place in the world.
- Pinocchio is produced by del Toro alongside The Jim Henson Company’s Lisa Henson, Shadowmachine’s Alex Bulkley and Corey Campodonico, as well as Exile Entertainment’s Gary Ungar.
- The film’s voice cast is headed by Ewan McGregor as Cricket, David Bradley as Geppetto, and newcomer Gregory Mann as Pinocchio. Other cast includes Finn Wolfhard, Cate Blanchett, John Turturro, Ron Perlman, Tim Blake Nelson, Burn Gorman, Christoph Waltz and Tilda Swinton.