Australia’s Princess Pictures Acquires ‘My Little Pony’ Animation Studio Boulder Media From Hasbro
Australian production outfit Princess Pictures is set to acquire Irish outlet Boulder Media from its previous owner Hasbro.
- Dublin-based Boulder Media, purchased by Hasbro in 2016, is one of Ireland’s biggest animation studios and has worked on several major global IPs including Transformers and My Little Pony, tv series such as Danger Mouse and Wander Over Yonder, and the multi-award-winning short film Memento Mori.
- Princess Pictures produces both animation and live-action content. In animation, it’s best known for the work it has done which is geared toward adult audiences. Among the more popular series on which the company has worked are Smiling Friends, Yolo Crystal Fantasy, and Yolo Silver Destiny for Adult Swim, and Koala Man for Hulu and 20th Television Animation, produced as part of the Princess Bento joint venture with Fox’s Bento Box Entertainment.
- According to a report by Deadline, the terms of the deal were closed earlier this month. The acquisition expands Princess’ production service capabilities for both its in-house projects and those it produces with third parties.
- In that same report, Princess Pictures’ managing director Emma Fitzsimons said both Boulder and Princess will be looking to make new hires following the acquisition. She explained that while Princess will continue to invest in adult animation comedy, there are also “other opportunities for different genres” on the horizon.
- Fitzsimons also outlined the company’s broader international ambitions, explaining that the modern streaming ecosystem has created an appetite among U.S. viewers for international content, one that Princess and Boulder will look to feed.
Pictured at top: My Little Pony: A New Generation