Nexus Studios, the award-winning production house based in London and L.A., has signed a major talent to its commercial roster: Patrick Osborne, director of Feast and Pearl.
Here are the details:
- Nexus will represent Osborne globally for commercials, branded content, and music videos.
- Osborne is best known for directing the Disney short Feast (image at top), about a terrier with a junk-food habit, and Pearl, a vr work for the now-defunct Google Spotlight Stories about a father and his daughter.
- Feast won an Oscar in 2015, and Pearl was nominated for one in 2017, becoming the first vr-originating work to receive that honor, though the Academy-nominated version of Pearl was a traditional theatrical short and not the vr version. Both were honored with Annie Awards in various categories, and Pearl took home an Emmy, too.
- Prior to directing these works, Osborne was an animator on a host of features for Disney and other studios, including Big Hero 6, Wreck-It Ralph, Tangled, and Surf’s Up.
- Osborne is currently directing his debut feature Nimona, based on Noelle Stevenson’s webcomic of the same name, at Blue Sky Studios. Originally slated to come out last February, the film was pushed back to January 14, 2022 following Disney’s acquisition of the studio.
- It was announced in 2018 that Osborne would develop a feature based on the hit mobile game Monument Valley for Paramount Pictures and Weed Road Pictures. We’ve heard little about the project since then.
- Christopher O’Reilly, Nexus’s founder and executive creative director, said in a statement, “Patrick is a captivating storyteller and one of the most exciting talents working in animation. He has a curiosity for the world that informs both his stories and how he goes about making them.”
- Nexus is a studio with an eclectic portfolio and a confirmed interest in emerging technologies. Its talent roster includes animation filmmakers Felix Massie, Niki Lindroth von Bahr, Jonas Odell, and the filmmaking team of Emma de Swaef and Marc James Roels.