Pixar has released the first trailer for Peter Sohn’s Elemental, heading to theaters on June 16, 2023.
- Directed by Peter Sohn (The Good Dinosaur, Partly Cloudy) and produced by Denise Ream (The Good Dinosaur, Cars 2), Elemental is Pixar’s 27th film.
- Synopsis: An all-new, original feature film set in Element City, where fire-, water-, land- and air-residents live together. The story introduces Ember, a tough, quick-witted, and fiery young woman, whose friendship with a fun, sappy, go-with-the-flow guy named Wade challenges her beliefs about the world they live in.
- Recent Pixar films like Onward, Luca, and Turning Red have drawn inspiration from the personal lives of the directors, and Elemental is no different. In this case, Sohn was inspired by his childhood in New York.
- “My parents emigrated from Korea in the early 1970s and built a bustling grocery store in the Bronx,” Sohn said when the film was announced. “We were among many families who ventured to a new land with hopes and dreams — all of us mixing into one big salad bowl of cultures, languages, and beautiful little neighborhoods. That’s what led me to Elemental.”
- Elemental features the voices of Leah Lewis and Mamoudou Athie as Ember and Wade, respectively. The film’s protagonists feature in a new poster, seen below.