Nexus Studios has revealed that Oscar-nominated Raya and the Last Dragon co-director Carlos López Estrada has joined the company’s commercial director roster.
- López is working on an animated feature documentary that is currently in development at Nexus Studios, as well as the photorealistic cg adaptation of Disney’s Robin Hood.
- Raya and the Last Dragon was nominated for the Academy Award for best animated feature as well as 10 Annie Awards. It was a hit with critics and audience alike, boasting a 93% certified fresh Tomatometer rating and a 97% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes.
- His debut feature, live-action drama Blindspotting (2018), was a critical hit following its Sundance premiere, with president Barack Obama recognizing it as one of his favorite films of 2018. The film earned López a nomination from the DGA Awards for directorial achievement of a first-time feature film, and resulted in a tv spin off in 2021.
- López joins a Nexus directors roster that includes Patrick Osborne (Feast), Jonas Odell (Tussilago), Nicolas Menard (Wednesday with Goddard), Niki Lindroth von Bahr (The Burden), Paloma Baeza (Poles Apart), and Siqi Song (Sister), among others.
- Nexus Studios co-founder Christopher O’Reilly said, “Carlos is a unique talent with a body of work that encompasses high end animated features, inventive music work, and emotionally impactful live-action storytelling. He’s a lovely human being with a rare combination of talents and we couldn’t be more delighted to have him join the roster of exceptional talent at Nexus Studios.”
- López added, “Joining the Nexus family is a dream. I’ve been in awe of their creativity and their innovation for a long time. I cannot wait to get started making things together”
Below are a few examples of musc videos directed by López: