Disney hosted the 2022 D23 Expo over the weekend, sharing updates about several upcoming productions as well as unveiling a few new projects.
Presentations were held for productions that will premiere in the coming months, including Strange World and Zootopia, but there were also some exciting reveals of new projects that had fans at the Anaheim Convention Center, as well as those following from home, buzzing.
New Animation Unveiled At D23:
- Walt Disney Animation Studios’ next original feature project, Wish, is directed by Chris Buck and Fawn Veerasunthorn. Set in a land where wishes can and do come true, the cg-animated film was pitched as an homage to Disney’s first 100 years and the company’s “wish upon a star” motif, made famous in the song “When You Wish Upon a Star” written by Leigh Harline and Ned Washington for the 1940 Pinocchio feature. Julia Michaels is writing the musical film’s original songs; Jennifer Lee is among the writers; and Peter Del Vecho produces with Juan Pablo Reyes.
Inside Out 2
- This sequel to the Oscar-winning 2015 Pixar hit Inside Out rejoins protagonist Riley during her teenage years promises new emotions (as well as Joy from the original) and new adventures. It’s being written by Meg LeFauve and produced by Mark Nielsen. Kelsey Mann, who was story supervisor on Onward, The Good Dinosaur, and Monsters University, is set to direct. Disney plans to release the film in summer 2024.
- Disney announced the next feature project in Pixar’s pipeline, Elio. A sci-fi adventure film, it turns on an 11-year-old boy who accidentally becomes ambassador for Earth. Adrian Molina (screenplay/co-director, Coco) directs with Mary Alice Drumm producing. Slated for spring 2024.
New Details About Previously Announced Animation
Win or Lose
- First announced in 2020, Pixar’s first-ever original longform series is written by Michael Yates and Carrie Hobson, who share directing duties. David Lally produces. Win or Lose turns on a middle-school softball team with each episode covering the same week of preparation for a championship game, but from a different character’s perspective. Will Forte is the voice of the coach. Available on Disney+ in Fall 2023.
- Not much that we didn’t already know was shared about Peter Sohn’s Elemental, but it was announced that Leah Lewis and Mamoudou Athie will be voicing lead characters Ember and Wade; and we got access to a first-look image.
- A new long-form Disney animated series, Iwájú is a collaboration between Disney and London-based entertainment company Kugali. Created by Ziki Nelson, the show follows two best friends through their adventures in a futuristic city that Kugali filmmakers Olufikayo Adeola ‘Ziki’ Nelson, Hamid Ibrahim, and Tolu Olowofoyeku described as a ‘love letter to Lagos, Nigeria.’ The show will be available sometime next year.