Fox Entertainment, a division of Fox Corporation, shared details about its 2022-23 programming slate during an in-person upfront presentation on Monday, and we’ve picked out the animation news for you.
The production company announced three new films that have been commissioned for its streaming platform Tubi, each produced by Fox-owned Bento Box Entertainment.
Pastacolypse was created by Aqua Teen Hunger Force co-creator Matthew Maiellaro. Fox’s synopsis reads:
A father-daughter survivalist horror comedy, cooked up from the most ludicrous premise on Earth: a billionaire celebrity chef seeks revenge on all mankind when a global ban on gluten destroys his life. In the process, Alfredo Manicotti is disfigured into a hideous creature, half-man, half-macaroni, and leads a pasta uprising that threatens all of humanity. It’s up to his spoiled heiress daughter, the angel-haired Emma, to make the ultimate sacrifice and save the world from the impending Pastacolypse.
Millennial Hunter comes from actor and comedian Sam Taggart:
Action-comedy Millennial Hunter revolves around a flawed hero with a thirst for righteous revenge against his enemies: Millennials.
Big Bruh is the brainchild of stand-up comic and Duncanville co-producer and writer Jerron Horton:
A satirical comedy about a famous, undefeated boxer who is as ignorant as he is materialistic, struggling to find common ground with the bratty kid with high morals he’s paired with through the Big Bruh program.
New series premiering on Fox
Bento Box Entertainment is producing Grimsburg, starring and executive produced by Jon Hamm (Mad Men, Baby Driver).
- The show’s synopsis reads: “In Grimsburg, Marvin Flute (Hamm) may be the greatest detective ever to catch a cannibal clown or correctly identify a mid-century modern armoire. But there’s one mystery he still can’t crack — his family. Now that he’s back in Grimsburg, a town where everyone has a secret or three, Flute will follow every lead he’s got to redeem himself with the ex-wife he never stopped loving, even if it means hanging out with the son he never bothered to get to know.”
- Catlan McClelland and Matthew Schlissel created the series and serve as co-executive producers.
Bento Box is also producing Dan Harmon’s (Rick and Morty, Community) new animated series Krapopolis.
- Set in mythical Ancient Greece, the series centers on a flawed family of humans, gods, and monsters that tries to run one of the world’s first cities without killing each other.
- The series’ voice cast features Hannah Waddingham (Ted Lasso), Richard Ayoade (The IT Crowd), Matt Berry (Disenchantment), Pam Murphy (Mapleworth Murders), and Duncan Trussell (The Midnight Gospel)
- It’s part of an animation deal Harmon and Fox Entertainment announced in 2020.
- According to Fox, Krapopolis will be “the first-ever animated series curated entirely on the blockchain, as Fox and Bento Box build their NFT business.”
- Fox is planning to launch a Krapopolis marketplace that will curate and sell digital goods including NFTs of characters and background art, GIFs, and tokens that grant access to social experiences for fans.
Renewals on Fox
The following series have all been commissioned to return with new seasons: The Simpsons (season 34), Family Guy (season 20), Bob’s Burgers (season 13), The Great North (season three), and Housebroken (season two).