How do you replace an executive like former Netflix adult animation boss Mike Moon? Well, if you’re Netflix you assign two people to take over for him.
On Tuesday, it was revealed that the streamer has hired HBO Max’s Billy Wee and promoted Jermaine Turner to head the company’s adult animation series division. It was also confirmed that Maggie Malone has been appointed as vp animation film.
- Wee will take over as director of adult animation comedy series, Turner as director of adult animation action series, and Malone as vp animation film.
- Wee most recently served as senior vp of comedy and animation at HBO Max after a stint at fellow Warner outlet TBS. During his time at HBO Max, he oversaw original animation, working on shows like Close Enough, Adventure Time: Fionna & Cake, and Final Space.
- Turner has been with Netflix, working under Moon, since 2020 after 20 years at Disney working in animated programming for Disney Channel. Both he and Wee will report to John Derderian, vp animation series.
- Malone, a former Disney executive who was head of creative affairs, has been with Netflix since 2020 and is reportedly producing the streamer’s adaptation of Roald Dahl’s The Twits, which was originally planned as a series. Films produced during her tenure at Disney include Zootopia, Frozen, Big Hero 6, and Moana. After Disney, she spent time as an executive producer at Illumination. Malone reports to Karen Toliver, head of animation film.
- Moon was a key figure in Netflix’s early animation ambitions and worked for 15 years as an artist before moving into management. He left Netflix at the end of July and was recently announced as the head of Illumination’s new adult animation studio Moonlight.
Pictured at top: Netflix’s adult animation series Human Resources