Netflix and Bristol, U.K.-based Aardman Animations continue to strengthen their partnership.
The companies have revealed details of the Chicken Run sequel and a newly announced Wallace & Gromit film.
- Chicken Run: Dawn of the Nugget will come to Netflix in 2023. As previously announced, Sam Fell (Paranorman, Flushed Away) will direct from a script by Karey Kirkpatrick, John O’Farrell, and Rachel Tunnard. See the first image above.
- The film sees the flock of chickens try to break into an impenetrable fortress. Ginger and Rocky, stars of the original, are now joined by a daughter, Molly.
- Ginger and Rocky will be voiced by Thandiwe Newton and Zachary Levi respectively, replacing Julia Sawalha and Mel Gibson. Sawalha said she wasn’t invited for a voice test, and accused Aardman of ageism.
- The cast also includes Bella Ramsey, Jane Horrocks, Imelda Staunton, Lynn Ferguson, Josie Sedgwick-Davies, David Bradley, Romesh Ranganathan, Daniel Mays, and Nick Mohammed.
- Chicken Run (2000), Aardman’s first feature, was produced with Dreamworks and France’s Pathé. It took $224.8 million worldwide, and remains the highest-grossing stop-motion film.
- Writing and storyboarding are underway on a new Wallace & Gromit feature, which is set for a 2024 release on Netflix (except in the U.K., where it will debut on the BBC then come to Netflix).
- Franchise creator Nick Park will direct alongside Merlin Crossingham (The Epic Adventures of Morph, Wallace and Gromit’s World of Invention). Mark Burton (Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon) writes.
- This will be the sixth Wallace & Gromit film — the first in over 15 years — and the second feature, following 2005’s Oscar-winning Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit.
- Netflix and Aardman released their first co-production, the holiday special Robin Robin, in November. The streamer also released the studio’s feature A Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon and special Shaun the Sheep: The Flight Before Christmas.
Image at top: Aardman/Netflix © 2022