This week on Cartoon Brew’s The Weekly podcast, host Jen Hurler takes a look at recent stories that people in the animation community have been discussing.
Streaming services continue to dominate the news cycle. Warnermedia’s HBO Max is moving forward with an animated project from She-Ra and the Princesses of Power creator Noelle Stevenson, while Netflix announced a wide variety of new animation projects this week. Meanwhile, Disney+ has stepped in to handle the release of Pixar’s Soul after the pandemic forced Disney to cancel the film’s theatrical release in the United States.
This week’s topics:
- Noelle Stevenson is adapting Lumberjanes into an animated series for HBO Max
- The battle between the Walt Disney Company and the state of California over Disneyland’s continued closure
- Troubling allegations of misconduct at Weta Digital in New Zealand
- New announcements from Netflix’s bursting animation slate nad
- Disney-Pixar’s Soul has chosen Disney+ over a theatrical release